I love citrus and poppy seeds. And I love cake! This recipe is easy to execute and makes a fragrant sweet cake. The use of semolina makes it a light cake. Recently I made it when we had guests over and sadly there were no leftovers. Enjoy!
Lemon and Poppy Seed Olive Oil Cake Recipe
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup yoghurt
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup semolina
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
zest of 1-2 lemons
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups granulated sugar
4 cups water
half a lemon (use half of one you zested. Yes the whole half. Don’t juice it!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Cake
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar.
- Add in the olive oil, yoghurt, semolina, poppy seeds, lemon zest, and vanilla.
- Finally add in the flour and the baking powder.
- Pour the batter into a square pan, greased liberally with olive oil. Then insert the pan into a cold oven and turn the temperature up to 390 degrees Fahrenheit (200 Celcius).
- When the top of the cake is golden brown turn down the temperature to 355 degrees Fahrenheit (180 Celcius). Bake until knife comes out clean.
For the Syrup
- While the cake is in the oven, put the water, sugar, salt, and lemon into a saucepan.
- Place on the stove and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Keep the heat high until the mixture boils, stirring occasionally.
- After the syrup boils cook it for another 5 minutes, then turn the heat off and allow to cool.
- After you take the cake out of the oven, cut it into squares and then pour the syrup over the hot cake. (Don’t worry if there appears to be too much liquid. The cake will absorb it.)
- The cake is ready to serve after all the syrup is soaked up and it has cooled down.